Dove hunting has always been a tradition for many hunters as it typically marks the beginning of hunting seasons all around the nation. Personally, I love hitting a freshly cut corn field in early September and keeping my eyes to the sky. The unpredictable flight patterns and fast flying makes this a true hunter's paradise. Throw in a few good friends and a lab retriever and you got yourself a great time!
This recipe is one of my favorites when it comes to cooking dove breasts. This easy foil packet recipe will have you wanting to hit that field again and again.
All you need is:
10-30 cleaned dove breasts (depends on how many friends you're serving and how good of a shot you are)
1 medium zucchini
1 medium yellow squash
1. Slice your zucchini and squash into slices about 1/4 inch thick and then cut your slices into quarters. Place your dove breasts and cut zucchini and squash into separate bowls.
2. Add salt, pepper, and paprika to taste. Be sure mix in seasonings evenly. (I didn't include specific amounts in this recipe because everyone has different preferences. I like mine with a little more flavor so I add quite a bit of seasoning. However, play around with what you prefer.)
3. Lay out a piece of foil (approximately 12 inches long) and place zucchini, squash, and dove breasts onto the foil. Try to keep ingredients close and compact so that when you fold over the foil, there isn't a lot of empty space to create a loose packet. Add a small spoonful of water to the middle of the ingredients. This will help prevent burning and will create extra steam inside the packet.
4. Begin folding by folding one end over...
5. And then overlapping the foil from the other end.
6. At this point, fold over the unfolded ends by repeating small folds until you reach the ingredients inside the packets.
7. Repeat on the other side.
8. Repeat steps 3-7 until all of your ingredients are gone.
9. Fire up the grill to medium heat.
10. Place the foil packets evenly on the grill and try not to overlap the packets.
11. Let the packets cook for about 8-10 minutes on this side and then gently flip the packets over. Be careful to not spill out the ingredients. Cook for another 8-10 minutes. The grill's temperature should try to stay around 375-400 degrees F.
12. After this time, carefully remove the packets from the grill. Let them cool for a few minutes and BAM! you got yourself some delicious grilled dove breasts foil packets!
This is a great recipe for camping or hanging out at home after a fun morning of wingshooting with some buddies. Enjoy right out of the foil or transfer onto a plate! Doesn't matter, tastes great either way!
If you enjoyed this recipe LIKE us on Facebook and be sure to FOLLOW us on Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest.
Co-Owner, RKE Afield